This weekend (October 2018) see the end of British Summertime and the mornings getting lighter. This is great news for those of us who like to exercise in the morning. So will you make use of your extra hour by exercising or stay in bed!
Benefits of exercising in the morning?
There are several things that exercising in the mornings do for our bodies.
- If you suffer from SAD disorder then this is not a great time of year with less day light. It can lead to loss of interest in normal activities and a low mood. By exercising in the morning at least you are giving your body some natural light, releasing good endorphins which can have an effect of improving your mood.
- Exercising in the morning can burn more calories.
- There is a hormone called Melatonin that increases as the sun sets to help get our body ready for sleep. With the clock changing this weekend and the evenings drawing in this happens earlier in the day and makes up sleepy. So exercising in the morning means we are more alert. Then evening can then be spent preparing for a good nights sleep.
- Exercising in the morning means that you have less excuses as you might in the evening. Lay your kit out the night before and workout before breakfast.
Benefits of exercising in the evening
It really is a personal choice and research is not conclusive as to which is better.
- Exercising in the evening you have more time
- Your body is more alert and supple having moved throughout the day.
- A lot of classes take place in the evenings
- A great way to de-stress after work
- Exercising in the evening can be more sociable
In the end exercising regularly is what works for you and your life, as long as you fit it in!
The 10 minute Pilates membership
at Studio 44 Pilates
gives you the choice to exercise when you want to.
Try the 7 day FREE trial now for all Pilates levels.