Table of Contents
Can you learn Pilates at home?
YES I believe you can.
Time is the problem with most people and committing to a weekly Pilates class. (does this sound familiar?)
But the benefits of Pilates are too good to ignore, If you aren’t sure of the benefits then do check out my blog “Why you should do Pilates”
Joseph Pilates created Pilates or “Contrology” as it was originally named where he created the 34 moves of Pilates. How Pilates originally spread was through Joseph Pilates writing instructions and photos showing the sequence of the moves. Joseph Pilates wanted his moves to be practised to ensure that you understood the mind and body connections. Practising regularly ensured your body became stronger and you became more body aware.
So Pilates started off by people learning Pilates at home!
Top tips to learning Pilates at home.
- Find an instructor that you feel you can connect with, check out their websites and learn more about them.
- Find a video that really explains the techniques of Pilates. The main things you need to learn before learning the Pilates moves are your neutral position and breathing.
- It’s important to understand the 6 main principles behind Pilates, as these will help you with your practice. My blog “Joseph Pilates – The 34 Moves Part 1” go through the main principles.
- Make sure you find a video in which the Pilates moves are broken down to a very basic level. It might not feel as though you are doing anything but with good instruction you will be learning the technique and becoming very body aware.
- BE PATIENT! and go over technique again and again, so your body becomes use to the moves and you are focused in the areas you need to be.
- Each time you move onto the next level of the exercise it will make more sense and you will learn quicker in the long run.
There are lots of free videos online for beginners and these maybe right for you, but just check that you fully understand what is being taught before going ahead with them.
Still not sure that learning Pilates at home is for you?
Why not try my FREE 7 day beginners challenge starting on Monday 8th October 2018. You will receive a new video each day explaining and showing you a Pilates technique and a you will learn a couple of Pilates moves. The first video is about 6 minutes long and the rest are under 5 minutes. There is also a Facebook group so that you can questions or just let me know how you are getting on. You don’t even need to get into exercise kit either!
Our lives are busy but it is still important to take time out for us and move daily.
Sign up HERE for the 7 Day Beginners Pilates Challenge.